Friday, March 30, 2007

Blogging makes you compulsive and weird.

I've only been doing this for a fortnight and already I'm writing about my own vomit. Bitch, please. Nobody wants to read that.

Except apparently some people already are. I had kind of hoped that I would have a few weeks to myself to hit my blogging stride: I shuddered to think that people would unwittingly come across this and think to themselves, "Hmm, clearly this person is rather incoherent. Perhaps she hasn't hit her blogging stride." But perhaps that was an unrealistic expectation.

Actually, I'm still rather ambivalent about writing what is basically a play-by-play account of my life for public consumption. Partly, it's because I think my life is not that interesting. I mean, I run a student paper; I don't excercise frequently enough; I rarely go to wild parties; and I watch far too much Law and Order:SVU. I'm overly fond of footnotes. I drink. In the office. Sometimes alone.

But I do find it so far to be a nice challenge to go through my day and notice everything extra hard, hoping to glean some material to shape into a post later on. It wakes you up a little bit. And here I'm reminded of a very nice artist/blogger named Lucas that I met at last year's TINA festival. After doing an artist-in-residence stint in the WA town of Kellerberrin, he decided to repeat the experiment in his home suburb of Petersham, doing community-based projects and talking to people who lived and worked there. I like that idea, and while I'm not so sure about the not-leaving-the-'burb-for-two-months part, the notion that there is beauty and art to be found in everyday life - even if everyday life is fairly banal - is appealing.

SO, without further agonisingly self-conscious ado, here is a list of things that have amused or otherwise pleased me today.

1) I crashed at Helen's house last night, after a French film and Greek food with my mum, and blearily took the train home this morning. The connection was seamless. The train was clean. And when I stepped off onto home soil at Moreland Station, I was serenaded in a deep Irish brogue by a gentleman standing in the middle of the footpath with his arms flung wide. I tried to keep a straight face as I passed him but dissolved into giggles instead. He grinned at me and sang another line. The song was 'You are always on my mind'.

2) I picked some flowers from the back garden and put them in a vase on the kitchen table with a candle and a wooden camel. The temporary tidiness of the kitchen was nice (as nice as it was fleeting), as was the red of the flowers against the pale yellow of the walls. The floor still needs mopping but I am choosing to ignore that.

3) A perfect, perfect hipster got on the tram today at the corner of Sydney and Glenlyon roads. He was tall and rangy, and impeccibly turned out, in skinny jeans, a stripey T-shirt, a grey vest, navy sea-shanty blazer, and silk scarf. He had sunglasses on over a very girlish bob and was clearly cultivating some insouciant facial hair. He was also carrying an old-fashioned suitcase, the type that snaps closed, and probably couldn't see because the weather was cloudy. But I don't think he could bear to be without his accessories. It was as though some glamourous water-bird had alighted upon the tram. He kept glancing back at me as if to determine whether I appreciated the effort he had gone to. I did, my friend. I did.

4) The weather. I've been wearing jumpers and scarves and stockings for the last three days and I love it. I tried to express my joy at the grey, windswept sky the other night to my friend Geoff and he just looked at me in disgust and said, "It's people like you..." He may have shaken his head. I don't care - I think summer is overrated and now that the air is finally crisp and clean it feels like things are starting afresh. What things, I don't know.

5) I am now represented on the Farrago website by an adorable dinosaur. Thanks, Jono! Email me with story ideas concerning "the arts, robots and dinosaurs". No really, that's what the website told me to tell you.

6) When I got home, the kitchen was flooded with light. No more making dinner in the darkness! Thanks for replacing the light-bulb, Georgia and Pat!

7) I had an idea about a brooch made out of Harma Beads, comprised of a Harma Bead milkshake, Harma Bead hamburger and Harma Bead french fries. I just realised that this idea was probably sub-consciously inspired my that McDonalds "we're healthy! we swear!" ad that is running where the people make said foodstuffs with their bodies but look like little Harma Beads. Oh well, I am still going to make that brooch.

8) Also, I have laid out the materials for and started making a necklace representing a dementedly amorphous monkey swinging off two ropes of plaited kimono fabric. If I have it finished by tomorrow I wear it into the city while shopping for bras. Because you always need to check how a new bra looks with an amorphous monkey necklace.

All in all? A thoroughly enjoyable day. And although everything stayed in my stomach, I still find the idea of a concept Abject Japanese Restaurant charming and funny instead of gross. That is because I am sick. And I am compulsive, and I am weird. And I am going to go make that necklace now.

No comments: