Sunday, August 12, 2007

Glory of... whatever

I went outside this morning to hang out some washing, and the almond tree was suddenly covered in delicate blossom. Oh, the glory of spring! The majesty of the seasons! etc. If the seasons think I'm going to rhapsodize over them every time they make one fucking grand gesture of a change, they have another think coming. One grand gesture every four months or so, and the rest of the time it's forgetting to call and blowing hot and cold and being fucking unpredictable. As though one day of delicate blossom makes up for months of sulking. I'm sorry, honey! I was just going through a rainy phase...

Sure, I haven't spent much time with the elements recently, but it's not like I can help it. Do you think I'd be in the office six days a week if I had any choice? It's not like I'm ignoring nature, I've just been really busy recently. And it's not like I can live off sunshine and rainbows - girl's gotta pay the bills. But does the weather understand? No. It just hurls itself at my office window weeping frigid, hysterical tears, and then gives me flowers as though that will make everything alright.

Well, it's bullshit, weather. It might have been sweet blossom this morning but you're back to sullen cold tonight. I know you're temperamental, but this is ridiculous. And you know what? I'm going to close the blinds now, and curl up with a cup of tea and a novel, and I might not see you for a while. When you're ready to be sunny and warm all the time, and not just when it suits you, then maybe we can talk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All too often, the weather turns to bullshit. I used to think such a mercurial temperament was rather alluring (and oh-so-Melburnian), but it's probably more grating than anything else. Especially when you have a shitbox for a clothes dryer.

Pusia said...

My arse and I fell into a puddle and ruined my houndshooth skirt.

Admittedly I was hurling myself over a eight-foot gate at four in the morning...but...I mean, seriosuly.

Anyway, what was my point?

Oh, yeah- the weather.

Cinema Minima said...

Those goddam elephants.....elements!

eleanor bloom said...

Hey, I wouldn't f*ck with mother nature if I were you! She's got her own brand of karma.

The blossoms sound lovely to me (but then, I can be sooky like that sometimes). The curling up with novel and tea sounds bloody awesome too. (good book?)