Sunday, November 11, 2007

Art bitch

This weekend has been a triumph of porch-lounging, punctuated with a couple of very cool shows. It's probably the bare minumum required to keep my art bitch status, but give me a break, it's not like I'm a professional.

The lovely Catherine Campbell had invited Jelly and I to a very, very cool illustration show at Per Square Metre gallery, and so we duly went and ate tiny cupcakes and marvelled at the pretty, pretty drawings. I ended up making my first ever art purchase, a Lilly Piri illustration. It was remarkably frustrating to only be able to afford one - to be honest, I can't really afford it - but I consoled myself by thinking that the others would be going to good and appreciative homes. Luckily, somebody snapped up the illustration of Catherine's that I was lusting over all night, because I was about to send myself broke to buy it. Maybe in five years' time...

(As an aside, Catherine is one of the illustrators who gave stuff to our magazine and was incredibly gracious about the not getting paid stuff. Another of our illustrators, Andrea Innocent, was also in the PSM show, and it just made me feel incredible lucky that there are creative young people in Melbourne who were willing to donate their time and effort for a project that looked at one point like it might not even get off the ground. They are both fucking talented and if you have money and you like good art, get down to Collingwood and buy their stuff.)

Tonight, after debating the value of theory in art with my housemates for a couple of hours, I hauled myself down to Utopian Slumps for the Nathan Grey closing exhibition. Also very cool, with some wonderful sound art and many many cute boys. Oh, and the installation itself was very good...

Throw in some pizza-eating, and some Pimm's-stealing, and some wee-hours-of-the-morning porch-drinking, and some brunch-devouring and lake-sitting, and that's pretty much the sum of my weekend. Maybe tomorrow I'll get down to the Gallery. You know, dressed in black, with a flask of gin. This art bitch life is pretty fucking sweet.

3 comments:

eleanor bloom said...

Sounds a lovely weekend my dear. I'm sure partaking of ill-gotten Pimms makes it taste all the better! Did you snatch some mint out of someone's garden to go with it... and, you know, have some real class? ;)

Unknown said...

I quite like the gallery whore lifestyle. Pity all the great places are northside; or pity the fact that I live southside!

Jess said...

Or not! Helen and I went to a quite awesome lecture at Sotheby's tonight - free champagne, egg sandwiches, and an exploration of private and public philanthropy in the Australian contemporary art scene. Southside also has Berkelouw Books... sigh. Want want want.

Eleanor, I regret to tell you that the Pimm's-stealing was not particularly classy in any way, at all. We were simply given the option of paying upfront or later, and chose the latter. By which I mean to say we strolled away insouciantly having conniptions because neither of us, as far as I know, have ever stolen anything before in our lives.

And then burst into gusts of incredulous laughter. Pathetic.