Thursday, November 8, 2007

Teef

Recently I've been dreaming that my teeth are falling out. A lot. Like, every second night. Most of the time I'm going about my business and I realise that one of my molars is missing, then a few of my teeth just start dropping out, and then a few more, until I am frantically trying to keep them in and running madly to the nearest dentist. A couple of times they've been smashed out violently. Once I had that dream within a dream thing where I woke up and gave a sigh of relief that I still had all my teeth, and then they started falling out again and that's when I actually woke up.

What the fuck? According to Google (or more accurately, the number one Google hit, Dream Moods),
One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxiety about your appearance and how others perceive you. Sadly, we live in a world where good looks are valued highly and your teeth play an important role in conveying that image. Teeth are used in the game of flirtations, whether it be a dazzling and gleaming smile or affectionate necking. These dreams may stem from a fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. Teeth are an important feature of our attractiveness and presentation to others. Everybody worries about how they appear to others. Caring about our appearance is natural and healthy.
Apparently, it can also signify that I am nervous about public speaking, feeling powerless, or "putting [my] faith, trust, and beliefs in what man thinks rather than in the word of God." Um, not going to argue with that last one... According to my housemate Surineh, it could also mean that I am coming into money, which, as nice as that would we, just does not seem likely at this particular juncture. I don't know. Most likely it just means that I forgot to buy floss or something - I am, after all, a dentist's daughter...

Feel free to add your own interpretation.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have also had these teef dweams. For me, it's either a fear thing -- they often come in strange sequences for nights on end, usually hinting at the slow unravelling of my life/sanity.

That, or you've been eating too much junk. Or drinking too much coke.

p.s. Let's drink/have a decadent breakfast soon.

Tim Norton said...

ok that freaked me out

as i usually do when reading blogs, i merely scanned your post (sorry jess), so i missed that bit about it being a dream.

i actually thought your teeth were really falling out.

ok now i know its about dreams, my vote is that your brain is telling you to become a dentist. actually fuck that - just start stealing other people's teeth

made in melbourne said...

Oh thank God, I thought it was only me. People give me the strangest looks when I tell them about my dreams of teeth literally cascading from my mouth.
What do we three have in common that would create same-same dreams Jess & Gill?
Lefa

Unknown said...

I reckon involvement in student/independent media has something to do with it!

Jess said...

That and wit, talent and incredible good looks...

eleanor bloom said...

This is apparently really common to dream about.
It can also mean that you're merely grinding your teeth in your slumber. I have had this dream a few times; is an awful feeling that I can feel again now when I think about it. Someone told me that Madonna has these dreams all the time so I think that rids us of the financial difficulties analysis!

Pusia said...

I've had those dreams since childhood. First they get all loose-like. Then, they start falling out one by one, while I try to keep them in mouth. Slowly, my mouth fills up with teeth, saliva and blood until I wake up ruing my dental hygiene routine.

Unpleasant.

Pusia said...

I've had those dreams since childhood. First they get all loose-like. Then, they start falling out one by one, while I try to keep them in mouth. Slowly, my mouth fills up with teeth, saliva and blood until I wake up ruing my dental hygiene routine.

Unpleasant.