Friday, November 23, 2007

Just a lovely day

I was walking down Johnston st today when a women dashed out of a hair salon and bailed me up on the footpath. Would I be interested in working as a hair model? Did I have time for a colour today? I was, and I did, and now my hair is a rich and chocolatey shade of brown.

I think I am going to have to accept the redhead experiment as somewhat of a failure... I loved the colour but every time I went to have it touched up it seemed to get darker and darker, inching back towards my natural colour. Perhaps I will accept defeat until I have grown my hair out a bit more, and then go somewhere really expensive (ie. competent) and emerge the mermaid-haired temptress of my dreams. Somehow I'm banking on mermaid hair, although mine is taking an excruciatingly long time to grow.

I had such a nice time walking around Collingwood. Somehow I've managed to spoil myself rotten today. I had breakfast with my lovely friend Josephine, real crumpets with blackberry butter and darky, muddy-coloured coffee, and some good conversation, then headed off towards Fitzroy, managing to make a small detour through a lovely little op shop and picking up a cheerful plaid summer jacker with cap sleeves, a scarf and some sunnies. Then hair-pampering, and a short walk to Per Square Metre, where I picked up my darling illustration. It is very darling. Shut up, it just is.

Getting peckish again I hit upon a lovely, tiny, jumbly cafe with antiques and furniture cluttering up the back and paintbrushes drying out in the bathroom. A five dollar plate of spaghetti napoli later (the proper kind, with olives and capers and chilli) and I was basking in the sunshine, happy and replete.

It made me think how happy I am to be able to have my own life at the moment. I've done a lot of bleating on this blog about being a dismal romantic failure, but being able to wander around Collingwood, slip in and out of galleries, sit in a park, whatever, without needing to make plans or be accountable for my whereabouts is just a wonderful feeling. That total satisfaction you get from a successful day's solitude... it's nice. And it's nice to remember that I've always liked my own company. Especially on a holiday, in the sunshine, with a freshly-shampooed head.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

a) A women dashed out of a hair salon? How did they manage that?

b) You have an incredible talent for describing the satisfied enjoyment of a warm day/night. You make me want to get my hair shampooed.

c) Also, you bleat about being a dismal romantic failure? It's weird, I don't know how you - or Jelly, for that matter, who sometimes opines about the single life herself - could be single without choosing to be. You're both so lovely.

And yes. Single life has many of wonderful benefits of happyness, yes yes.

Unknown said...

That sounds like the perfect day. I love that pocket of Collingwood -- quiet, poseur-free and it's got that quaint, semi-industrial feel.

Re: hair -- I liked you red! It was striking, bold and proclaimed, "I am a confident broad". You turned heads, lady (though I'm sure you do that irrespective of hair colour).

Jess said...

Did you go to charm school or something, Yosh? I find it very hard to believe that this level of delightfulness can be achieved without the use of aids or supplements.

Jelly: I am thinking about getting my usual hairdresser to fix the colour - a girl's gotta compensate for the lack of fuck-off specs. And that pocket of Collingwood really is very nice, I am dragging you there for spaghetti. Soon.