Saturday, May 19, 2007

A placeholder update, in list form, with links.

For no other reason than my feeling like writing an itinerary, here is a list of things I have done in the last week:


- Attended a reading of The Iliad with Helen and her family at The Stork Hotel. Books 22 to 24, the seige of Troy, Hector's battle with Achilles and Priam's journey to retrieve his son's body. I thought that I knew the story fairly well, but I had totally forgotten that before Hector and Achilles face off, Achilles chases Hector around the outskirts of Troy for a really, really long time. Also, I had thought that Patroclus by killed by Hector in a case of mistaken identity after borrowing Achilles' armour, but apparently Hector knew it was Patroclus the whole time. Clearly, I need to read some Homer. Also, Helen Morse: yes. Some blonde chick from Stingers who declaaaaaaaimed in place of any real performance: oh my God no.

- Read a lot, including some good chapters on art and space in The Sexual Life of Catherine M and as many newspapers as I could get my hands on. Listened to a lot of Tom Waits, French hip hop, and rain.

- Sent the magazine to the printers, blah blah blah breakfast and deadlines I have covered this already.

- Attended a function at which Jenny Macklin spoke about the Close the Gap campaign, which was stiflingly hot and at which I ran into many people I haven't seen for a while and made awkward small talk.

- Drank gin and guava juice with Jelly Hands at her apartment, under the auspices of a DVD night, which started with popcorn and Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Mighty Boosh and Black Books and ended with general hilarity and the mother of all hangovers.

- Cleaned myself up and took the tram into Carlton to have lunch with my dad at Tiamo.

- Vacuumed, tidied and rearranged the furniture in the front room. The bookshelves are now along the back wall, and what in God's name possessed me to try to move them while they were still half full of heavy, heavy books I will never know.

- Had coffee with my ex, also at Tiamo, and probably since I write about everyone else in my life using their real name it's a stupid and inexplicable distinction that I don't use his, but there you go.

- Attended nanoArts, got drunk with various poets, writers, journalists and festival directors. I somehow found myself in the VIP room, which had no sort of formal VIP affiliation at all but was rather a nice calm place to sit and eavesdrop. Also, still slightly hungover from guava and gin, it was remarkably pleasant to sit in a quiet little galley of a yellow and gold room, like being inside a carnation with a chandelier. And drunk poets. Later a contingent emarked upon a journey to the unofficial poetry hub of Funswick, my neighbour's house, whereupon my poet neighbour managed to surreptitiously steal my sunglasses. I want them back, Geoff.

- Attended a very busy opening at Gertrude Contemporary Art Space, which was chock full of interesting art and very attractive boys and wouldn't you know it, I might just go back there this weekend to have another look. At the art.

- Retreated to Helen's for Law and Order: SVU and a bucket of dip. So much dip. I am a hollow vessel, filled with tzatziki, and so technically not hollow at all so that metaphor doesn't work dammit but I have an unofficial policy of not editing this thing like you can't already tell.

- Visited Helen at the Utopian Slumps gallery in Easey St (I love that name), which is a very cool little spot full of bright and interesting art and one of the spunkiest curators in town.

- Had tea and pancakes in the kitchen with Georgia just now.



And yet, without work I am already getting bored. I think I need a project. Aside from shirking any actual writing in this blog and just transcribing bits and pieces from my weekly planner instead. Did you like how I used the links to make it seem just like a real blog? Did you even notice? Eh, enough of this. I'm off to bed.

No comments: