Friday, September 21, 2007

Hair today...

So I had my first stint as a hair model the other day. On the upside, I got a ten dollar haircut from the most competent stylist at my salon. On the downside, I had to sit excruciatingly still for an hour and forty-five minutes while a dozen hairdressing students scrutinised me intently and discussed my height, posture, head shape, jawline, skin tone and personal style.

I came away from it with a shit-hot haircut and also a new respect for people who do appearance for a living. I guess you lose that self-consciousness quite quickly if being scrutinised is your job, but I've never felt so tired and plain and puffy in my life. It didn't help that I was massively hungover, undercaffeinated and had just rolled out of bed, I guess... or that I wasn't wearing make-up, or that the lights in the salon were rather glaringly bright. Or that because appearance kind of is a hairdresser's job, all of the students were perky and bright-eyed and perfectly groomed.

Anyway. I had the haircut, and then we had the party, which was fun (in retrospect... I was totally, utterly unable to be objective at the time, but there were balloons and cheese biscuits and the like), and the magazine should be in shops soon, so look out for it. And on Wednesday I am getting up at an obscenely early hour to catch a cheap flight to Newcastle, where I will be attending this festival and no doubt behaving rather rowdily when I am not sitting on panels and organising roundtables and the like. They want me to talk about getting started in the writing industry. Ha!

Also, notice how I have not mentioned my fortnight-long hiatus from this blog at all? Smooth, hey. Life has been rather hectic and frown-inducing recently, but it seems as though I am destined for sunshine and kittens and gin for the next little while, so life is good. Yup.

Nothing more to say, really.

4 comments:

eleanor bloom said...

Hmmm. I always preferred its original name of This is No Tart. Obviously they've moved on from women's issues.

Unknown said...

Can I marry you, Eleanor? This Is No Tart is how I refer to the festival in conversation, and people always roll their eyes.

Anonymous said...

You'd better be on your rowdiest. I am planning on being an uncharacteristically forthright, uncouth whippersnapper. Swilling ginger beer, being foul etc.

I cannot wait to sample the petrochemical and coastal delights that Newcastle has to offer, if you know what I mean...

Jess said...

Oh yes, "uncharacteristically" rowdy. Can we just admit to being habitually rambunctious and tear up this town already, lady?