Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Shorts for summer

I met the delightful Mary K this evening for dinner in the city, starting and culminating with free drinks at her place of work. Along the way we stopped at Pellegrini's for $13 pasta, and met up with our friend Ben for a quick cocktail at Madame Brussels, whereupon the conversation took a turn for the smutty. Amongst the printable things discussed, prompted by one waiter's incredibly hot shorts and blazer combination, was Ben's intention to bring short shorts in for summer.

I tell you, I could not be more pleased with this decision. Long have I been an advocate of trunks, shorts, and their leg-revealing ilk. I was recently mourning the fact that a man's well-turned leg is no longer considered worthy of attention or adulation, but hopefully a revival of short shorts for summer may help turn the tide back towards a celebration of the muscular calves and shapely thighs of our masculine friends.

What do you think? Are Ben and I alone in wanting to see more man leg? Personally, I feel that woman have shouldered the burden of legginess for too long. All I'm asking for is equality here. A little pin parity. After all, the fundamental tenets of feminism demand that men and women be treated equally. And men's legs, recently, have not been displayed, objectified, and lusted after as frequently as women's have. So it's only fair that mans flash a little gams. Preferably whilst wearing seersucker shirts, hats, and/or spectacles. And carrying a jug of Pimm's. That would just about make me pass out from happiness, I think.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"...a celebration of the muscular calves and shapely thighs of our masculine friends."

Let me be the first to assure you that if short shorts do become a popular male fashion accessory this summer (count me out, although regular shorts are fine), you could expect to see wild variation in the attractiveness of the calves and thighs on display. Not everyone can be Lance Armstrong ... sadly.

On the other hand, perhaps it'd be worth suffering through the more repulsive short short instances in order to enjoy the pleasures of muscular calves and shapely thighs?

Anonymous said...

From a feminist point of view I absolutely think that men should be involved in more flesh-baring during summer months, and short shorts is a more sophisticated way to do it than, say, not wearing shirts. But let's face it, except for rare exceptions, women's legs are just more aesthetically pleasing than men's. The idea of Melbourne's hipster population suddenly ditching their skinny jeans and revealing their skinny legs kind of makes me feel a bit quesy.

:p

L.

Anonymous said...

Damn straight! Just so long as it's not the greying 50 year olds that start it up...there's always one that comes to my work. *shudders*

Anonymous said...

I'm all for shorts, but I'll have to concur with Yosh -- be careful what you wish for.

But you can bet my camos got some good mileage in today's heat...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to me! I've returned the favor.