Thursday, December 13, 2007

Stood up. And fatigued. But definitely not crying.

There are times in my life when I think I'm cracking up. And there are times in my life when I know I'm cracking up. Fortunately, at the moment I'm pretty sure I only feel like I'm coming apart at the seams.

There are a few stresses in my life at the moment - job hunting, family stuff, household stuff - that I'm managing to hold at bay with a combination of demented optimism and baking. I tend towards certain Pollyanna tendencies that keep me afloat where otherwise I might not be so buoyant. It's a rather grimly determined policy of looking on the bright side, and making a conscious decision not to worry about things I can't immediately change and to focus instead on the smell of gingerbread, or the feel of clean sheets, or figs finally ripening on the tree.

It takes an effort though, I guess, and occasionally that effort is just too much effort. Tonight it feels as though I'm leaking out everywhere. I know it's not polite to talk about one's mental health, but I might as well put it on the table that there have been periods in my life where I have been, well, not so well. I've been pretty stable for the last couple of years, and I can tell when I'm going to hit a bad patch and ride it out, but it's the reason that I couldn't get out of bed this morning until no-one else was in the house. It's the reason I go for long stretches without sleeping more than two hours a night, and why I bake banana bread at three in the morning. And it's the reason why, after a friend called an hour before he was supposed to come over for dinner tonight to cancel, I started to cry, discreetly, on the tram.

I do tend to do things discreetly - most people would never notice that I was going through a patch, because when I am going through a patch I would rather die than let on that I'm not coping. And people aren't all that perceptive, either. Anyway, I never really considered writing about it on the internet, either, except that I just read this and something in me broke a little bit. This was me two years ago, right down to the baking. It explains things better than I could, anyway, so maybe you should just read it.

And then you should go bake a batch of cookies, and then be thankful either that you're not of a depressive disposition (why is it so hard for me to write that I might "suffer depression"?) or if you are, quietly remind yourself that there are other people out there who know how it feels to spend every day in a haze - to have a great cloud of static hanging over your emotions, to not be able to make even trivial decisions, to find yourself despairing that nothing - no matter how dramatic or self-destructive - will ever shatter the bell jar.

Like I said, I know I'm not falling apart. At least, not tonight. I'm going to brush my hair and go to a friend's gig and maybe have a quiet sulk when I get home, and then I'm going to wake up tomorrow feeling better and berating myself for being a drama queen. I'm probably going to dump the food I bought to cook tonight in the fridge, because my housemates aren't home and cooking a feast for one seems kind of laughable, and eat pickles out of the jar and finish off the so-pathetic-it's-charming(?) Weight Watchers brand cottage cheese in the fridge. I'll be fine. And if not, the world could always use another batch of gingerbread.

4 comments:

lisa said...

most people would never notice that I was going through a patch, because when I am going through a patch I would rather die than let on that I'm not coping.

This.

And people aren't all that perceptive, either.

This x 2.

It's weird how some people seem to revel in all the drama and bad shit, but the depressively inclined repress it all and put on a strained, happy face.

Unknown said...

I have moderately extensive first- and second-hand experience with depression, so I know where you're coming from and I wish you all the best. Sometimes the world is a great big fucking mess, and we don't seem to have a place in it. But know that you have an indelible place in my world, and in the worlds of hundreds of other people.

I quietly wonder whether it's even possible to say anything that can make a substantive difference, but I hope that people try, because you deserve to know that people care about you.

So, take heart, if you can.

Also, don't feel bad about blogging about your mental health. You have no idea how often I want to do the same thing, and I don't think I'd do it half as eloquently as you have.

<3

Anonymous said...

I, like Yosh, don't know what to say that will help.

Except that I will be around if you ever need to bake gingerbread. And I'll be perfectly happy to listen to the gingerbread if it ever needs to talk.

Jess said...

Lisa: I think the reason most depressives don't tend to revel in bad fortune is that a lot of the time circumstances have nothing to do with it. Life can be chugging away merrily, with fulfilling work and loving relationships and the like, and you can still feel like the ground is about to open up under you. That's why most people strive so hard to hide why there feeling: surely it's not normal to feel so unhappy when nothing's actually wrong?

Yosh and Mary: I heart you kids a lot, you know that? Thanks so much for the kind words and general awesomeness. It means a lot.