Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Figs!

I wandered into the back yard this morning to take some washing off the line, and apparently the fig trees are covered in almost-ripe fruit. I'm not quite sure how I managed not to notice them before, but it's a very exciting development nonetheless.

I only acquired a taste for fresh figs after moving into this house. I think the key is to eat them straight off the tree, still warm and soft from the summer sun, splitting them open with a fingernail and turning them inside out and scraping the flesh off with your teeth. Yum.

The other nice thing about an abundance of figs is the possibilities they offer. Fig, marscapone and caramelised onion tart? Fig and ginger bread? Blue cheese and fig pizza? Grilled figs and ricotta cheese on fresh rye bread? I can't decide. Maybe I will make a three course fig dinner and you can come around and we'll have a fig party. Hurrah!

6 comments:

Femikneesm said...

Mmmm....this post is making me hungry. My vote is for the blue cheese and fig pizza.

Anonymous said...

Confession: I have never eaten a fig. Feel free to pelt me with figs.

Unknown said...

Mmmm, fig love.

Another vote for the blue cheese and fig pizza, followed by grilled figs and ricotta.

Delish!

Pusia said...

You know, it's like 8 degrees here in Warsaw and I have to get up at 6am to work. And so I've been a thinkin' a summer holiday is in order, and I've heard the antipodes are really nice 'round this time of year. AND SO MAYBE I MIGHT JUST FUCKEN COME HOME FOR A HOLIDAY AND EAT FIGS ON THE PORCH WITH YOU, you smug (fig) tart.

Unknown said...

Ha! I knew you'd take the bait, Olszanka.

Seriously, get back here and I will cook all your favourite recipes, like that summer miso noodle dish and a baked ocean trout, and we will sit on the porch and drink gin and eat figs and link arms and skip down the street or whatever the fuck it is we do when we're intoxicated by summer and Bombay's finest.

Yes?

Pusia said...

................I'm actually looking up airfares right now.

I thought the point of my trip was to travel around Europe. I'm ka-razee.

Can I live at Davies with you?